Friday, March 26, 2010

A Poem

If Only If Only
by dakota shults

I once had a dream
That maybe just maybe
That the crowd would just scream
They’d shout, they’d yell
They’d scream my name,
For I, yes I, just won the game

I remember in September
The sky was shinning so very bright
No matter what happened I couldn’t be sad
For I have just made the one and only
That’s right, the basketball team

After tons of practice I was ready
I was ready to fulfill my dream
But sadly I had an “F”
For my teacher Mrs. Peacher
Did not like my work, not one bit

Then the coach said to me, sorry, you’re off the team
I cried boo hoo, yet no one cared
For I, yes I, was off the team
I worked so hard, day and night
Yet that didn’t matter, for my grades were bad

I could have been the best
But now I have to rest
For I have nothing to do
But dream of what could have been
If I was still on the team


I found this on the computer desk one morning a couple of weeks ago. It was a handwritten rough draft that he had typed the night before for homework. I think it is really good and he never even mentioned that that was what he was doing for homework. I told him a couple of days later that I had seen it and that I thought it was sooo good. He just shrugged his shoulders and said "I just came up with it in about 10 minutes". The next day he said his teacher asked him if she could keep it and use it next year in her classes. Evidently I'm not his only fan. :)

2 comments:

Leah said...

That is really good. He's perfect for basketball..what a great poem!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.